Designer Dish: Ronaldo Fraga

For those of you who don't keep up with the happenings south of the equator, São Paulo Fashion Week officially kicked off yesterday in a tent in Parque Villa Lobos (for once I am NOT at all envious of the attendees - it is WARM here, and I can only imagine the heat got kicked up a couple notches in an enclosed, sun-exposed space full of people) and one of the featured designers amongst today's shows was Ronaldo Fraga, a Brazilian-born and bred designer who hails from the state of Minas Gerais and whose small workspace in São Paulo I had the privilege of visiting on Sunday for a sneak preview of the Winter/Inverno 2013 collection.

Unfortunately, the extent of my conversation with him was something along the lines of him asking me if I would like water, juice, or coke, and me answering in some meek garbled version of a Portuguese "water is fine, thank ye muchly gafphtiehgks(*#%)$&heh?"

The studio was otherwise lovely, lots of colorful fabrics and tall skinny things discarding their clothing with no apparent shame whatsoever (forgive me, but I guess I never fully realized how little ownership you have left of your own body when you are a model until Sunday). Ronaldo himself was a pleasant character, full of jokes and boyish charm and a rather remarkable mustache.

I especially loved the shoes, which came in all different colors and materials but all with the same elfish shape - these are really shoes that you can beat a potential attacker in the balls with.



Here are the highlights from yesterday's show, drawn directly from the SPFW website.


I especially love the colorful patterns and the elaborate embroidery. And let's not forget the fun Rapunzel-inspired hairstyles - it's cool to see hair presented as an actual accessory. Just look how much the models are enjoying them, too!

What do you think of these designs? Would you wear them?
Pin It Now!

Instagram