Thankful Thoughts


COAT J.Crew | SWEATER Gap | SCARF J.Crew | SKIRT Charlotte Russe | TIGHTS Danskin | BOOTS André

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! 

The leaves are falling here in the 16th arrondissement. Knowing that we'd be busy cooking today, the Irishman and I marched up the avenue last Saturday to take some pictures by the Arc de Triomphe. 

Coincidentally, we also live just across the street from the Place des États-Unis,* a small park with some noble statues of Washington and Lafayette, American G.I.'s, Thomas Jefferson, and an anesthesiologist (huh?).  It's a lovely little park, and I am thankful to live in such a beautiful area of this romanticized city.  

Meanwhile, up in Saint-Denis, the non-beautiful suburb where I teach, one of my classes is learning Louis Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World." It didn't hit me until we were wading through the meaning of "babies cry / I  watch them grow" and "red roses, too" that it's a song of thanks for the simple things. 

So here I am, thankful for my gorgeous, versatile J.Crew peacoat (part personal-space bubble, part portable heater), for the Irishman in the kitchen, for our guests and great friends, for my job, for my proud, imperfect country of origin and for being able to pick which parts of our culture to commemorate from over here. Yay cornbread stuffing, friendliness, and American designers!

*translation: United States Place -- should be a Monopoly square, no?
Pin It Now!

Instagram