Taking the Leap



If you've been wondering where I've been all week, well, the answer is having fun - the architecture school's Master's thesis show has marked the return of my social life.



In other news, I finally took the leap and shaved my head. I was so lucky to have a great group of friends to help me out, too - my friend C (first picture) kindly donated the latter half of his birthday party to making a spectacle out of my (maybe idiotic) decision to rid myself of my (usually considered to be) most attractive physical quality. It's been 3 days, and this is what I have learned/where I am right now:
1 - Air moves around so much more than I ever realized, even when it seems to be still. I feel like there is a constant barrage of light sensation on my most newly-exposed nerve endings. I feel like a baby.
2 - While the first couple of hours were just cool and weird and full of the aforementioned new sensations, I have since felt a little like I am constantly teetering on the edge of an existential crisis. The panic rises and I have to remind myself that it's already over and gone and there's nothing I can do but wait.
3 - I can't stop touching my head.
4 - I don't normally wear mascara, but the first day when I went to leave the house I felt like I just HAD to put some on in case there was any doubt I'm a girl. I am guessing this particular effect will fade quickly.
5 - I can wiggle my left ear.
6 - Most people seem to recognize and/or remember me by my hair - my closest friends seem to delay in recognizing me, and people I've only met once or twice look straight at me and show zero recognition. Actually, just yesterday at the supermarket Boyf, while looking for me in line, totally passed me by.
7 - My skin is already clearer than it ever was. Total perk.
8 - I've been told I look like the Last Airbender. Also I am constantly being told how much more Asian I look.

Also, I have amazing friends. Despite all the different and very strong opposition I met before the fact, I've enjoyed nothing but the full support and compliments of all of my friends since. With new people, I mostly just get to compare notes with the guys on all the weird newness of it, and a lot of girls tell me that they've always wanted to but are too chicken (but usually in this way that makes it pretty obvious they never will - I'm not sure what that means).

My favorite reactions so far have included a very nonchalant, "Oh, did you get a haircut?" and an adorable "bald move" text. My least favorite are without a doubt the ones that can best be summed up as, "What a pity! You had so much and now you've gone and thrown it all away," or "But your hair was so pretty!" - as if I didn't still have everything that makes me me and a worthwhile person, and I find myself taking these as a bit of an insult.

But what do you think? I'm curious to hear your honest reactions, and for those who are interested, I'll be compiling a list of all the reasons I decided to do this later. Would you ever go for it?

Pin It Now!

Instagram