Amsterdam

Happy Tuesday, readers who are left! Today's big news is that my computer has gone on the fritz, deciding to finally pursue that elusive career as a disco ball and flickering in and out of consciousness (if anyone knows how to fix this problem, please let me know). Luckily I had already uploaded the photos for this post and the roomie has a computer, but the rest... we'll see. I wonder if Germany taxes computer repairs as high as they tax computers...

Now that we've got the technical updates out of the way, I finally made it to Amsterdam! And, if I'm being honest, I was rather let down. I was lucky that my travel buddy had some friends with a boat and we got to spend a beautiful sunny day floating through the canals, and they certainly have a commendable bike culture, but other than the watery-streets thing and the constantly-side-stepping-fleets-of-cyclists thing I found the city far below my expectations. Although I'm actually pretty sure that this is just because everyone raves about it so much my expectations had reached an impossible high. So I guess the moral of the story is: please everyone stop talking about how awesome Amsterdam is, because it really makes it considerably less awesome. Although the stroopwaffes (85% stroop!) and peanut butter are a steal, so bonus points there.

Biking around Amsterdam, though: mandatory life experience, CHECK.

Summer is finally starting to make occasional appearances, which is especially great considering the circumstances because, really, who even needs a computer to keep occupied when there are so many picnics and €1 ice creams to be had? (Also, let's just take a moment to applaud Germany on its very affordable ice cream prices. I think it makes up for the expensive clothes.)

Pin It Now!

Instagram