Mount Nemrut

As it's been a full month since my trip to Turkey, during which my computer was out of commission but then magically back in commission again and I have also spent a week in Berlin and a few days in Munich, I feel a bit silly expounding on it as a recent memory while simultaneously ignoring more recent gossip. But on the bright side, I have plenty of blog fodder for the upcoming weeks so perhaps I'll get back to regularly posting again!

Mount Nemrut is an ancient tomb and a UNESCO World Heritage Site in southeastern Turkey most well-known for the carved heads seen above and the artificial rubble mountain standing behind them.

If we're being honest, we were rather underwhelmed.

If you google image Mount Nemrut, a multitude of magical photos resembling Easter Island with smurf hats shows up. In reality, the heads are blocked off and are no taller than we are (see here). For us, the easiest way to get there was to bus from Diyarbakir (our previous destination from which I have apparently lost all the photos) to Kahta, the nearest city. We stayed at the Kommagene Hotel, the most highly rated of the three hotels in Kahta by Lonely Planet and most definitely just a hostel in a lodge. However, it was clean, comfortable, and affordable, and so if you must see Nemrut, I would recommend it. (But make your own breakfast arrangements because it was too sub-par to fill me up.) As part of our hotel package, we also booked a tour, which we negotiated down to 90TL/person for 3 people, or about USD$45 each. Decent deal for a day-long tour and beds and crappy breakfast, I think.

What is to be said for the tour, which did actually make a few other stops, is that the landscape was lovely, and in that sense it was worth it - especially at such a price. The best part, though, was traveling with these girls. We've all been living abroad this year (Turkey, Armenia, and Germany) and it was so great to get back in touch with our American-ness. I don't think I've ever been so shamelessly loud. And gawsh have I missed people who actually laugh at jokes (I'm talkin' to you, Germans).

Pin It Now!

Instagram