Göbekli Tepe

Not gonna lie, these ruins make it right up to the top of my Coolest Places I've Ever Been list, second perhaps only to Iguazú/Iguaçu falls on the Brazil/Argentina/Paraguay border.

But that might be attributable to the fact that I'm a bit of an architecture nerd, and I think history/anything old is kind of cool and so the gravity of this possibly being the FIRST BUILDING EVER comes crashing down very easily and very hard on silly little me. This is supposedly where ancient man first decided to give up the hunting & gathering gig and set up camp - and it's 9,000 years older than Stonehenge. (My brain is still wrapping itself around that!) But if that sort of magnitude is lost on you, then it's probably just another pile of rocks that's a little out of the way to get to. (It's a long taxi ride out of Urfa, and cost us about $40 between the three of us - agreed upon beforehand with the driver.)

P.S. Apparently there used to be stone pillars in each of those poles, so it would appear our obsession with phalluses is just as old as our species.

Pin It Now!

Instagram